Thursday, September 29, 2011

Berlin... day 2

Day two of my trip to Berlin was ace!  Early start (as if I don't usually get up early...) and went to meet Amanda for some caffeine at The Barn.  If you squeal inside at the sight/smell of a good coffee and a slightly overpriced but beautifully rustic baked item, like me, you'd also find yourself photographing the pretty coffee and scones.


I had an appointment at the Reichstag viewing area at 10.45 so two flat whites later I legged it there as I really wasn't sure what happens if you're late in Germany.  There's probably not even a word for it in German.  Oh, but I made sure I stopped to take a photo of a pink bike basket and some little toys in a window.  Priorities.



Got a special Reichstag badge. Woo. I'm a tourist.



I then visited the Holocaust Memorial which is very beautiful, much bigger than I had expected and a little overwhelming.

From there I went to the Bauhaus Archiv and was starting to feel rather weak and feeble as it was nearing 3pm and I'd not yet refueled.


Short tube journey later and I was happily chowing down on a sausage covered in curry powder covered in ketchup.  Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.


With an hour to kill before the Hello Etsy pre-registration tea party I leisurely wandered through Kreuzberg, stopping at a coffeeshop to catch a little bit of wifi on the way.  I also found this bit of doodling on a newsagents window.  I walked past a type studio nearby who did a lot of hand lettering and I can't find the name of them - I'm guessing maybe they did it but if anyone knows I'd love to find out.


The Hello Etsy registration meetup was at Hudson's English Cafe, who really made us feel at home with a heaped basket full of scones, endless amounts of clotted cream and jam and bottomless pots of earl grey, pg tips and english breakfast.



At a nice table outside I met Zena, Melissa and Anke, stuffed a couple scones in and drank so much tea I actually would later find myself wide awake all night. (I know, I'm wild!)  It was really nice to chat to some like minded people who made me laugh loads and got me excited again about what I believe Etsy's all about.


We were also given our Hello Etsy goody bags - containing a lasercut wooden name badge (uhh.. amazing!) some stuff from google and Burda magazine and a bottle of Charitea as well as a pretty special handbook on small business and sustainability full of secrets to success from the speakers at the conference.



Oh, and in case you were wondering, as if I'd not eaten enough already some turkish food was also crammed in on our way back to our apartments.  (I know, right... does this girl ever stop talking about food?)

No comments:

Post a Comment